- Spock: Can I help you, sir?
- John: Yes, I'm looking for my friend. Have you seen him?
- Spock: We do have one prisoner onboard. He is tall, has dark hair, and was wearing a long coat and scarf when we found him. He also seems to think he is superior to the general populace.
- John: ...
- John: Yea, that's him.
You can tell in the fifth gif that Sherlock is just so genuinely confused because this one man, John Watson, is somehow managing to surprise him. The second he thinks he has the army doctor figured out, or that he’s going to react to what he says like everyone else does, hatefully and telling him what a child he is, John laughs. And not at him like everyone else does behind his back, but with him. He genuinely thinks he’s funny and clever. John likes him. And it’s such a new feeling to Sherlock; you can tell in the sixth gif he’s just stunned but also so incredibly happy that I think he surprises himself and smiles/starts to laugh. He literally can’t even help himself because someone else finally understands his sense of humor and him in general. We already can infer that starting as a child Sherlock was made fun of and it continued his whole life; hell this could be the first time ever that someone has responded the way John does.
It might be a more understated scene in comparison to the laughter/jokes they share at other points like in Scandal, but it’s still so incredibly important because this sets up the base for those scenes; Sherlock knowing that John appreciates him just how he is. That he can be open and make those kind of jokes he does later. John Watson, the unassuming army doctor, lets Sherlock be himself and not only does he not judge him for it, but he enjoys it.
*Mom hands me phone to answer*
- Me: Hello?
- Telemarketer: Hello, is your mother home?
- Me: I have no mother.
- Her: Well can I speak to your father?
- Me: Yeah, which one?
- Her: Which one is home?
- Me: Well they're both home..but I don't think you want to talk to Carlos. He just went through a breakup with his boyfriend, Antonio.
- Her: Oh, so your fathers' names are Carlos and Antonio?
- Me: No, no! My fathers' names are Carlos and Mark.
- Her: So who's Antonio?
- Me: I just told you, Carlos's ex.
- Her: So Carlos was cheating?
- Me: Yes, but that's only because Mark was cheating with Edith, our neighbor.
- Her: So Carlos cheated only because Mark cheated?
- Me: No, he THOUGHT Mark was cheating.
- Her: So Mark wasn't cheating?
- Me: I never said that.
- Her: Yes, yes you did!
- Me: No I didn't.
- Her: Y-yes! You did!
- Me: Did what?
- Her: Y-you- Never mind have a nice day, goodbye.